PC games prefer using a keyboard and mouse to play games on their PC. However, some users opt for handheld controllers like PS4 controllers to play games on PC.
It is because handheld controllers provide better gameplay in various games like racing or combat games.
Recently, many users have come up with issues with their PS4 controller. Users reported that their PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from their PC.
This issue can be encountered due to various reasons like the misconfigured connection of PS4 to PC, faulty port, outdated or corrupted Bluetooth Driver, and improper Steam Controller Settings.
How to Fix the PS4 Controller keeps disconnecting from PC?
If you have been facing issues with the PS4 controller then this article will help you fix it.
In this article, we will be discussing how you can fix the PS4 controller that keeps disconnecting from the PC.
#1. Check For Damaged Cable
The very first thing that you can try doing is checking for the damaged cable. If the cable of your PS4 controller is damaged then you are likely to face this issue. In this case, you will have to replace the cable to connect your PS4 controller to your PC or you can connect the controller wirelessly.
#2. Use A Different USB Port
If there’s no issue with the cable then try using a different USB port. The USB port you have connected the PS4 controller to may be faulty and that’s what may be causing the issue. Plug in the PS4 controller to some other USB port on your system and check if you still encounter this issue or not.
#3. Ensure Your Controller Is Charged
If you have connected your controller to the PC through Bluetooth then ensure that the controller is charged enough. If the battery of the controller has discharged then you may face frequent disconnections. Charge your controller and then see if you are still facing the issue.
#4. Restart Your PC
You may also encounter the issue due to bugs and technical glitches on your system. You can try restarting your PC to fix this issue. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Disconnect the PS4 controller from your PC.
- Now, press the Windows key on your keyboard to open Start Menu.
- In the Start Menu, click on Power Button and then on Restart.
- Wait for the PC to restart.
- Once you sign into your PC, connect your PS4 controller to your PC.
#5. Hard Reset Controller
Issues with the PS4 controller can also cause such issues. If PS4 Controller keeps disconnecting from the PC, then you can try hard resetting the controller. To do so, follow the step given below-
- Turn off your PS4 controller first.
- Lookout for the Reset button at the back. Insert the needle here and hold it for five seconds.
- This will reset the controller.
- Once done, turn on your controller and reconnect it to your PC.
#6. Reconnect Your Controller To Your PC
Another thing that you can try doing is reconnecting your PS4 controller to your PC. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Disconnect the controller from your PC and then turn it off the controller.
- Now, turn on the controller, and press PS + Share button together to set the Controller to pairing mode.
- Press Windows + I key combo on your keyboard to open the Settings app.
- In the Bluetooth & Devices section, click on Add Device button.
- Here, you will see the PS4 controller, click on it and follow the on-screen instructions to connect the PS4 controller to your PC.
- Once done, the issue should no longer be encountered.
#7. Update Bluetooth Driver
You may also face this issue if the Bluetooth driver on your PC is outdated. You will have to update the Bluetooth driver to the latest version of the PS4 controller that keeps disconnecting from your PC. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press Windows + X key combo, and click on Device Manager to open it.
- Here, double-click on the Bluetooth option to expand the list.
- From the list, right-click on the Bluetooth driver and then click on Update Driver.
- Now, click on Search automatically for drivers to download and install the drivers from the internet.
#8. Reinstall Bluetooth Driver
If updating the driver didn’t help fix the issue you have been facing then you will have to reinstall the Bluetooth driver. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Press the Windows key to open the Device Manager.
- Double-click on the Bluetooth option to expand it.
- Now, from the list select your Bluetooth driver. Right-click on it and then click on Uninstall Device.
- Click on Uninstall again to uninstall the Bluetooth driver.
- Once the driver has been uninstalled, restart your PC.
- Restarting your PC will reinstall the driver and should most probably fix the issue.
#9. Configure Steam Controller Settings
Steam has an in-built feature to shut down your controller when not in use to save battery life. Many times this may also cause the problem as your controller may automatically shut down when you are not using it. You can configure this setting if you are specifically facing this problem while using Steam. To do so, follow the steps given below-
- Open Steam on your PC.
- Now, head to the Settings of Steam.
- Here, click on Controller and then on General Controller Settings.
- Now, check the PlayStation Configuration Support.
- Set the Controller Shutdown Time to Never.
- Once done your controller will not shut down even when not in use.
There can be various reasons behind facing this issue. There’s nothing to be worried about if the PS4 controller keeps disconnecting from your PC; the above steps should help fix the issue.
However, if you still encounter it, we suggest you use a different controller and check if you are facing the same issue with it. If the other controller is working fine, then your controller is faulty and you will have to replace it with a new one.